The Conceptual Music Competition begun its fourth round Friday, “The Beginning” after some delay over the results of CMC 3. With this new round comes a new twist. The competition is now open to members of six forums across the music community!
This competition is based on the rules of the classic TOMC (Thematic Original Music Competition).
The CMC (Conceptual Music Competition) is designed so that each participant enters a piece of music based on a set theme. The participants take the theme and interpret it as they will to come up with something that fits. Any style can work, as long as it portrays a sense of what the theme is. During the run of TOMC, the idea was to make it fit an RPG feel. In CMC, you shouldn’t necessarily limit yourself to that. Feel free to be imaginative!
Each successive theme will be chosen by the winner of the previous competition. For example, say the theme of the last competition, CMC 10, was “The Desert” and the winner, Gabe, submitted a piece that knocked the socks off of everyone, so he won. Gabe then gets to decide the theme for CMC 11.
CMC 4: The Beginning
Long before all that we know came to be, there was the source… the beginning…
- Voters will be allowed to pick a first place (3 points) and any number of honorary mentions (1 point). Only one set of votes from any one voter will be accepted and a person cannot vote for any one piece more than once. Corrections to votes, from the original voter only, will be accepted, but corrections will void the previous votes. Basically, a voter can vote and correct the vote, but only the final form of that vote will be counted. Send all votes to Abadoss by PM. Please include any and all constructive critiques (not to be confused with bashing) about them with your votes as well, so that there’s always a sense of growth in the artform. If you wish to remain anonymous, just state so in your PM. Thanks.
- The voting period will last from the moment the entries are posted in the thread to the Saturday of the following week. The voting period for this round ends on February 17, so be sure to spend some time really listening to the pieces.
- Any participant in the competition can vote, but not for their own pieces. However, in an effort to encourage voting among participants, any participant who votes will have 2 points added to their voting score.
- Each piece must be originally composed for this competition. Arrangements and remixes will not be accepted. (Pieces composed by the participant prior to the competition will not be accepted.)
- Each piece must be 2:00 or longer and match the competition theme.
- Only one entry per person. Collaborations will be allowed, but each collaborator may not submit any other pieces. (This also means that a person cannot collaborate on two or more different pieces at the same time.)
- A link to the entry piece must be e-mailed or PMed to Abadoss prior to the deadline set for each competition. DO NOT POST THE LINK IN THE THREAD! However, feel free to post in the WIP:Other forum.
- Important: Each file must be labelled accordingly: Composer_Name_-_Composition_Title_CMC#.mp3
(For example, if Reginald Nunez submits a piece called “Walking Through Candycoated Forests” to CMC 14, then his filename would be: Reginald_Nunez_-_Walking_Through_Candycoated_Forests_CMC14.mp3
- MP3 file format is required. Know that even OGG will need to be converted into MP3. (If someone is unable to do so themselves, Abadoss would be willing and able to do it for them.)
- Entries should be accompanied by a description and/or story to help listeners understand what the piece is about. (Not required, though.)
- All entries must be submitted by Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 11:59 PM – PST, GMT-8.
You can find the competition threads for each forum listed below:
- OverClocked ReMix: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6972
- VGMix: http://www.vgmix.com/vg25/viewtopic.php?id=4699
- Newgrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=642288
- ThaSauce: http://forums.thasauce.net/viewtopic.php?t=414
- Ormgas: http://oc.ormgas.com/forum_viewtopic.php?2.18061
- VGMusic: http://www.vgmusic.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7102
Good luck and have fun! 😀
Previous CMCs: http://www.warnerpacific.edu/personal/kkeyn/CMC.htm