CMC: Conceptual Music Competition
The Conceptual Music Competition is back for its eighth round, “Uncharted Waters”.
This competition is based on the rules of the classic TOMC (Thematic Original Music Competition).
The CMC (Conceptual Music Competition) is designed so that each participant enters a piece of music based on a set theme. The participants take the theme and interpret it as they will to come up with something that fits. Any style can work, as long as it portrays a sense of what the theme is.
Feel free to be imaginative!
Each successive theme will be chosen by the winner of the previous competition. For example, say the theme of the last competition, CMC 20, was “Time Travel” and the winner, Naomi, submitted a piece that knocked the socks off of everyone, so she won. Naomi then gets to decide the theme for CMC 21.
CMC 8: Uncharted Waters
“With a sack of clothes and a blank piece of parchment, the hero boards for his voyage through uncharted waters. The paths ahead are many and unexplored. What Towns, Lands, and Adventures lay before him. From sleepy port town, to stormy night, to the vast expanse of sunlit waves stretching to the horizons. What lies beyond, or for that matter, below. An epic exploration of the seas and beyond, deserves an equally epic soundtrack.” -Zekk
- Each piece must be originally composed for this competition. Arrangements and remixes will not be accepted. (Pieces composed by the participant prior to the competition will not be accepted.)
- Each piece must be 2:00 or longer and match the competition theme.
- Only one entry per person. Collaborations will be allowed, but each collaborator may not submit any other pieces. (This also means that a person cannot collaborate on two or more different pieces at the same time.)
- A link to the entry piece must be PMed or e-mailed to Abadoss prior to the deadline set for each competition. DO NOT POST THE LINK IN THE THREAD!
- Important: Each file must be labelled accordingly: Composer_Name_-_Composition_Title_CMC#.mp3
(For example, if Vincent Delano submits a piece called “Running with Scissors” to CMC 16, then his filename would be: Vincent_Delano_-_Running_with_Scissors_CMC16.mp3)
- MP3 file format is required. Know that even OGG will need to be converted into MP3. (If someone is unable to do so themselves, Abadoss would be willing and able to do it for them.)
- Entries should be accompanied by a description and/or story to help listeners understand what the piece is about. (Not required, though.)
- All entries must be submitted by Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 11:59 PM – PST, GMT-8.
You can find the competition threads for each forum listed below:
- OverClocked ReMix: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9606
- VGMix: http://www.vgmix.com/vg25/viewtopic.php?id=6280
- Ormgas: http://oc.ormgas.com/forum_viewtopic.php?2.19007
- VGMusic: http://www.vgmusic.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8453
- SheezyArt: http://www.sheezyart.com/forum/topic/73018/
- Gaming World: http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=60326.0
- Young Composers: http://www.youngcomposers.com/forum/…ters-7884.html
Good luck and have fun! 😀
Previous CMCs: http://www.warnerpacific.edu/personal/kkeyn/CMC.htm